Monday, January 10, 2011

Sandra Lee would be proud...


tablescape: a table design for a dinner party that is coordinated in color from the napkins to the centerpiece, and sometimes tied to a theme of the party/event to make a first impression as guests arrive.

If any of you are regular Food Network watchers, and you've seen the good ole' Sandra Lee on Semi-Homemade, you'll understand the title of this blog. If not, I encourage you to at least check out one episode to know what I'm talking about.

Not only is Sandra Lee a chef, but also a designer of 'tablescapes.' These tablescape just so happen to always match the dress she is wearing, to the drapes on the window, to the 'yummy cocktails' she is preparing at the end of the show. If you don't believe me, check it out. All of those items including the drapes, change with each new tablescape she makes on every episode.I love putting together tables. It's probably one of the things I enjoy most about doing events, and I don't get to do it quite often in the Conference World. So of course when I'm at home, and mom is telling me we are hosting Christmas, my first question is--what will the tables look like?

Most families usually resort to the buffet line with things still on the stove, or maybe even placed on one of those cheap plastic Christmas platters you get at the dollar tree, or even worse just on a paper plate. Those are just not my style--and paper/plastic plates & silverware are just a pet-peeve of mine. Most people own a nice set of dishes and silverware--so what are you saving them for? To collect dust in the hutch in your dining room?

I put together some tables this year that I think anyone could do, even if you have no experience in design. They don't have to be extravagant, and don't even have to all be the same. I like switching them up from table to table because its more interesting for your guests. All of them should coordinate with the room you are hosting the party in. The key thing to remember is to use what you already have and build upon them from there. That old ivory candle you have sitting around can be reused with some fresh cut branches from your pine tree out back, and a few leftover ornaments which can all turn quickly into a great centerpiece for the holidays. Incorporating something LIVE like fresh branches or flowers is important as it brings the table to life. And please, don't just by the prepared centerpiece in the plastic pot with the foil around them. Invest in a decent vase and make it fresh and your own.

Here are a few pictures from my tables and a buffet of appetizers I set-up. They are inexpensive and simple, yet elegant. So next time you are hosting a dinner party, I hope you'll take it one step further and enhance your buffet lines and tables...maybe people will really eat that cheese platter after all. Just please don't change your drapes and outfit to match. ;)

Table Concept:














Appetizer Buffet:


No comments:

Post a Comment